Accidental Injuries Third Leading Cause Of Death In Pinellas County
Accidents cause serious personal injuries in Pinellas County. In some cases, they can prove fatal. As one of the leading causes of death in our area, our Seminole personal injury attorney wants you to be aware of how they occur and your rights in holding those at fault accountable.
Common Causes Of Accidental Injuries In Seminole
According to the Florida Department of Health Injury and Violence Profile, accidental injuries are a leading cause of death in Pinellas County. They claim more than 800 victims each year, adversely affecting families and the community at large. Among the most common causes include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, which may involve cars, trucks, or motorcycles;
- Bicycle accidents, one of the most common causes of fatal injuries among children;
- Pedestrian accidents, which can happen in neighborhoods, parking lots, and on busy city streets;
- Public transportation accidents, including bus and Uber or Lyft accidents;
- Recreational accidents, such as drownings and fatal boating accidents;
- Slip and fall accidents, which can occur at stores, restaurants, amusement parks, hotels, or any public place;
- Unintentional poisoning, due to exposure to hazardous substances or contaminated foods;
- Product liability accidents, due to failure to warn consumers about dangerous or defective items.
Holding Those At Fault Accountable
While all of the above are referred to as ‘accidents’, they generally occur due to negligence on the part of others involved. Negligence means taking actions that put others at risk or failing to take reasonable precautions. Reckless driving, failure to maintain property, and violating local, state, or federal safety rules and regulations are among the most common causes.
Under the Florida Statutes, guilty parties can be held liable in a claim when personal injuries or death occurs as a result of their negligence. A personal injury claim helps offset expenses victims and their families suffer. In cases of accidental death, a wrongful death lawsuit also provides compensation, along with a sense of closure and helps punish the at-fault party. Damages awarded in these claims may include:
- Economic damages: This compensates victims or their surviving family members for property damages, medical expenses, current lost wages, and future losses in earnings or benefits.
- Non-economic damages: This provides compensation for pain, suffering, and lost enjoyment in life. In wrongful death claims, loss of companionship is also covered.
- Punitive damages: This is an additional amount victims and their families may be entitled to in cases where the at-fault party’s actions were particularly willful and negligent.
Reach Out To Our Seminole Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injuries in Pinellas County are a serious problem and claim the lives of hundreds of victims each year. Often referred to as accidents, negligence on the part of others is generally responsible. When they impact you or someone you love, reach out to our Seminole personal injury attorney. At The Reep Law Firm, we hold those at fault accountable and help you get compensation in a claim. Call or contact our office online to request a consultation today.